I was gonna call this Summer Fresh Maki because of the mango slices but the crab-flavored crabsticks are not really fresh and if truth be told can be considered as “non-food” so there, Crabstick and Mango Maki.
I didn’t have those bamboo rolling mats though our place mats are the same make, I don’t think it’s a good idea to use these. I just used my hands to roll these maki.
crabsticks (not real crabs but flavored ones)
Cooked rice (you can use sticky rice or Japanese rice. Since i dont know how to cook sticky rice or malagkit, I cooked 1 cup white rice,1 cup unpolished brown rice and half a cup of sticky rice or malagkit. The water level was more so that the rice, when cooked is a bit soft)
1. Cook the rice.
2. While the rice is cooking, slice the crabsticks and mangoes.
3. Place a nori sheet on a big plate.
4. Get around half a cup of rice and spread or press thinly on the nori sheet, which may be about half of the sheet.
5. Align the crabsticks and mango slices on the rice.
6. Carefully roll the nori sheet and press gently while rolling until the whole nori sheet has been rolled (so many variations for roll, lol!)
7. With a sharp knife, cut the rolled maki into desired pieces.
Other fillings: avocado slices, scrambled eggs, minced pork, sashimi, sukiyaki beef stew or whatever you fancy that is good to eat with rice.
Refrigerate if you will not be eating yet.