I’ve featured the Baked Whole Chicken recipe here.
For this post, I am featuring the same recipe, except the whole chicken was slow cooked instead of baked. I got a slow cooker from my hubby, yey!!!
Pardon the grainy mobile photo, this was taken at around 5:30am and I didn’t have time to get my camera.
What you need:
1 whole free range chicken
Juice from 1 orange (or 2 oranges if you prefer)
orange zest (use a peeler to remove bits of the orange peel)
1 small sliced apple
1 onion a few garlic heads
dry herbs (I use McCormick Italian Seasoning)
How to make Slow Cooked Whole Chicken:
- Clean the chicken inside out with salt. Wash thoroughly.
- Rub the chicken with a little salt and herbs. Put some under the chicken skin.
- Pour the orange juice on the chicken.
- Let this sit for an hour or so bathing the chicken in orange juice.
- When ready to cook put orange zest on the chicken.
- Inside the chicken, put orange and apple slices inside. I used green apple.
- Remove the top of the garlic heads and dash some dry herbs on these. Put in the slow cooked with the chicken. Also I put the remaining orange slices on top of the chicken for more flavor and frangrance.
- Put the chicken in the slow cooker and cook on high heat for an hour and low heat for 5 hours.
You can put balled aluminum foil in the slow cooker where you will put the chicken on so that the chicken in not immersed in its own oil after 6 hours of slow cooking.
We discarded the orange and apple slices after the chicken was cooked. You can opt to cook longer, the 1 hour in high heat and 5 hours in low heat made the chicken fork- tender and it was easy to cut.